At Somerville Dental Health we believe that prevention is better than cure, and we know that long-term dental management works a whole lot better than emergency repairs!
Today, people can expect to keep their teeth for life, have a beautiful smile, eat normally and prevent problems like toothaches. The days have passed when tooth loss and dentures were an expected part of life. Dentistry has evolved.
How can we help?
We make sure we find out a lot about you and your teeth as it helps us do our work better. This approach provides the best for our patients – not just a quick fix but lifelong improved dental outcomes.
Regular check-ups and cleans are one of the best preventive dentistry techniques, we will be able to monitor your teeth and gums and make sure they are being maintained and cared for to the best of your and our ability.
Our dentists recommend periodic x-rays every few years to check that everything between your teeth, under old fillings and under your gums is in good condition.
How do I prevent tooth decay?
At Somerville Dental Health, we want to help you prevent tooth decay before it starts. Here’s how:
- Brush your teeth twice a day, after breakfast and before going to bed.
- Use fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss once a day.
- See us for regular check-ups so that any early problems can be treated before major, expensive treatments are needed.
- Don’t snack before bedtime, food left on the teeth overnight is more likely to cause cavities.
- Avoid foods and drinks that are high in sugar, especially soft drink, sweet cereal, desserts, and sticky foods.
How do I prevent gum disease?
- As with preventing tooth decay, you need regular check-ups.
- At home, you need to brush and floss each day, reducing the build-up of plaque, which is usually the cause of gum disease.
- Rinsing your mouth with a mouthwash that’s used to treat gingivitis can be helpful, and try to avoid sugary foods and drinks.
If you’re regularly involved in a contact sport and would like to know more about custom fitted sports mouthguards, please contact us for an appointment.